Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 04:51:42 UTC+8, wrote:
Gary E:
=20

=20
Be very quiet as you read this. Listen to whatever sounds you are hearin=

g, whatever they are coming from and which ever direction....
=20
=20
=20
That is stereo! Where ever you are - in your house, on a commercial flig=

ht, hanging upside down from a set of parallel bars, rowing a canoe across =
a rapid, etc. - is stereo.
=20

How can that be? Sound which originates from a single source travels into y=
our left and right ears. A violin or a person singing cannot be consider st=
ereo. However, when we playback the recordings in stereo we are listening t=
wo identical violins or singers over the left and right speakers and it can=
not be correct but we accept that as natural.

There was two experiments conducted in 1957 and in the 70s to see if audien=
ces (3000 of them) could tell difference between live sound and recording. =
The experiment concluded they couldn't. How good can the gears and the reco=
rding be in the 50s?