Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline

Default do i need a pre amp?

On Mar 31, 12:40*am, "Tim Perry"
wrote:
"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message

Hello Group, I normally play an acoustic guitar with a battery powered
Godin pickup through a Roland Cube Street battery amp for busking, i
want to start playing my electric guitar but when i do i need to turn
the amp up almost full to get a decent level (and use up the
batteries) when normally with the acoustic i don't have to turn it up
much at all ton get good level. Is this because of the battery powered
pickup on the acoustic ? Do i need to use a pre-amp with the
electric ? thanks for advise.

JJ

Turning up the gain *to get the same volume will not "use up" the batteries
any more then the other way. Only is you are making it louder then before
will the battery drain increase.

A preamp will change how you set the amp gains. *If it sounds ok with what
you have you don't need it.

i thought that because i had to turn up the gain the battery drain
would increase but if not then i don't have a problem thanks for the
info.