S888Wheel

Default THE AUDIOPHILE PRESS

Stewart said

If you doubt this, just carefully observe audio-salon demonstration
techniques.
(or even your own demonstration protocols) The salesperson ALWAYS turns the
volume control ALL the way down between comparisons and then controls the

overall level on the comparison. There is NEVER an attempt to match levels
.... EVER.

I said

At Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica this has never been the case IME.

Same
for Acoustic Image in North Hollywood. They have always given me full

control
of the levels in any comparisons. They have always just hit the mute switch
when changing over components.

Stewart said

This won't necessarily match levels either because input sensitivities can
vary.

True. In some cases that isn't an issue though.

Stewart said

My point is that levels are never matched except by Kentucky windage and
that floor personnel will, over time, employ techniques that tend to sell
product, even when they may not be consciously aware of the particular bias
mechanisms.

I was simply pointing out that in some "audio salons" here in L.A. those
techniques are not employed. If I am given control of the levels the sales
person cannot employ techniques using levels to seel the products.