Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Defeating digital mixer in audio interface.

In article , Tobiah wrote:
My interface has an option that disables all internal
mixing. No monitor mix available, and I guess, one would
have to do all other routing within the DAW. Why would
a person want to do this? Is anything gained in fidelity
by sidestepping an ADC or DAC someplace?

The less processing you do, the better. The fewer things you have in your
signal path, the fewer things there are to do wrong. Any time you change
gains, you have the chance of something going wrong. Not to mention that
it's one more set of things to get misadjusted accidentally.

With such a
configuration is there no way to monitor an input other
than by round trip through the computer?

Sure, through an analogue mixing console. In most cases if you're tracking
through a normal console, you just use the console to make cue mixes. Way
more convenient and direct than using wacky mixing hardware in your ADC.