Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default digital photography vs. digital audio

John Lamp wrote:
wrote:
Are there any meaningful parallels that can be drawn between digital
photography and digital audio?

The slide into obsolescence is equally precipitous!

It is a little weird, isn't it? Definitely bad news from a business
perspective.

In high school, I saved up from a summer job to buy a Crown Graphic.
I still have it. Today, I could probably sell it for about what I
paid for it (though admittedly the dollar is worth less). You can
see some photos taken with it in the latest Recording magazine; I
still use it regularly.

A fellow at work bought a high end digital camera three years ago
and now cannot get even get media for it.

This is even _worse_ than the audio world. The analogue audio world
is inconsistent too: the ATR-100 machines have held their value, while
you can pick up an Ampex 440 (which is really a nice sounding machine)
for next to nothing. And the higher end digital stuff holds its value
for at least a couple years.