Joseph Oberlander

Default why are salesmen such idiots?

Mark Zarella wrote:

Compression does NOT inherently compromise quality. What I'm trying to
drive home to you is that your prejudices are based on misinformation
and empirical evidence, not on fact.

FACT: MP3 is by definition a lossy compression method as opposed to
lossless compression methods that exist.

As Lizard said, "lossyness" does not necessarily compromise quality,
especially when the losses are below threshold.

The problem with mp3 is NOT the losses. It's the additional artifacts
introduced. While it's true that they can be significant (read: audible),
this isn't always the case.

Yeah, I guess if you are recording soething simple like DEVO with
a couple of synths and some vocals, you'll not notice anything.
But you move to something with a fast tempo and lots of instruments,
and suddenly it gets the audio equivalent of "jaggies" just like how
JPEG does.