Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Better bandwidth than USB-2?

On 10/26/2019 8:01 PM, Tobiah wrote:
I have a PreSonus Studio 1810.Â* For $100 more, I
could have it's descendant, the 1810c, which, apart
from a couple of tweaks to the software, seems only
to sport the new USB type.

In this case, I assume that the underlying communication
with the computer is the same, only over a USB-C connection.
In other words, would it be safe to say that latency would
be the same on either unit, even though USB 3.0 or C is theoretically
capable of greater throughput which should result in less usable
latency?Â* I mean, did they just put a different plug on the same unit?

They probably have a different driver for it. Latency comes from a
number of places, and you really don't know what it is until you
actually test it with a signal. Just reading the numbers that the driver
reports is pretty meaningless.

Depending on what you're doing and how you do it, latency can be
important or not. The only thing that's really important is input
monitoring latency - the time it takes for a signal to get from the
microphone to your headphones. If it has a built-in DSP monitor mixer,
and you use it properly, latency through the computer isn't even
involved. If you have to monitor through the computer, these days
latency is mostly dependent on computer speed - the connection between
the interface and the computer is plenty fast enough unless you're
throwing a whole bunch of tracks back and forth.

And why the apparent lack of USB3.0 devices?Â* Wouldn't it be
a dream to have the extra bandwidth?

Not really, unless you really need it. And if you really need it, you'll
probably be using something more "professional" (you'll pardon the
expression) than a PreSonus interface anyway. The real attraction, for
devices like this anyway, is that newer mobile phones have a USB3 port
(sometimes in its USB-C configuration) so you can connect your audio
interface with your phone.

I look at the prices
once in a while, and it seems as though anything beyond USB2.0,
(Thunderbolt, PCI etc.) runs into the stratosphere pricewise.

Thunderbolt has license fees, even for the cables, and that jacks up the
price. PCI is a whole chunk of hardware, and that jacks up the price.
USB is common because it's cheap and it works for most users in normal
circumstances.

So for the hobby user, should I be content with USB2.0

Yup. I haven't had a new interface in here for test/review in a few
years, but using the built-in DSP mixer in a first generation Focusrite
Scarlett interface with USB 2, I was measuring input monitor latency
around a few tenths of a millisecond.