Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Cat **** on Cables!!?

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

------------------------

From outdoor P.A. experience I can add choc ices thrown into loudspeaker
horns and dogs ****ing on guy rope anchor pins. One of the messiest
incidents was discovering that someone had dragged my cloth-covered
field-telephone cables through a wet cow pat.

I felt very sorry for the sound engineer at an indoor event when a
mother in the audience finished feeding her baby and accidentally
sprayed milk all over his cable snake. I don't know what stale human
milk smells like, but the smell of stale cows milk is utterly repulsive
(and can last over six months if it gets soaked into a canvas rucksack).

** I came across a case where someone had used a medium size, cast metal horn flare, lying on its back on the pavement, after a pub gig, as a urinal. Corroded the heck out of the copper wire diaphragm.

Once, a compact DJ mixer came to me that had vomit all over it - inside the faders and onto the main PCB too. Didn't half stink.

Immersion in hot, detergent rich water got most of it off, with the aid of an old toothbrush. Rinse and dry in a warm oven, worked fine again.

Then there was a pile of radio mic gear and power amplifiers for me to rescue that had been submerged in a sudden flood - all were chock full of brown mud and the pocket Txs were corroded inside too, as the 9V batteries did their worst before going finally flat.

Eventually got them all working and tuned up, after several hot water washes like the one above.

But dealing with gear that has been involved in a bad fire or actually on fire itself is just about the worst. Spilt beer or OJ can do this to some items when powered up.

Repair techs have so much fun, you know....

...... Phil