Posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.video.desktop,comp.dsp,rec.audio.tech,rec.photo.digital
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Questions about equivalents of audio/video and digital/analog.

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:26:16 -0700, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

"Digital" and "subject to aliasing" are two different things.

As I believe the term "digital" is usually meant, it implies a
two-state (on/off) storage representation. It's not just that the
signal amplitude is quantized, but that the quantization uses a
power-of-two representation and storage system of some sort.

My reading of the possible systems goes like this.

analogue - a continuous representation of the original signal
sampled - a representation of the signal at discrete time points
quantized - a sampled signal, but with the possible levels constrained
to a limited set of values
digital - a quantized signal, with the individual levels represented
by numbers

Aliasing is going to happen as soon as you move beyond the first line
of that list.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com