Posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.video.desktop,comp.dsp,rec.audio.tech,rec.photo.digital
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Questions about equivalents of audio/video and digital/analog.

Radium wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:47 pm, Jerry Avins wrote:

Radium wrote:

Other than the microphone [obviously], why does there need to be any
moving parts? If a digital audio device can play audio back without
any moving parts, why can't an analog audio device be designed to do
the same?

Describe a motion-free process of recording and playing back. Cutting
grooves on a disk or magnetizing a moving tape both involve motion.

The iPod is motion-free yet it's still able to record and playback.

It does that digitally. Did you really not know that? Are you trolling
after all?

Those Nintendo Entertainment System cartridges were able to playback
without any motion.

It does that digitally. Did you really not know that? Are you trolling
after all?

The device below is *not* analog. It uses sampling so its digital:

http://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/36/140/

I'm curious to why there are no purely-analog devices which can
record, store, and playback electric audio signals [AC currents at
least 20 Hz but no more than 20,000 Hz] without having moving parts.
Most of those voice recorders that use chips [i.e. solid-state] are
digital. Analog voice recorders, OTOH, use cassettes [an example of
"moving parts"].

It's this simple: nobody has invented a way. I doubt than anyone ever
will. If you know how, communicate with me privately.

I don't know how but I guessing that it involves the analog equivalent
of Flash RAM [if re-writing is desired] or the analog equivalent of
Masked-ROM [if permanent storage is desired].

What would you write into that "RAM"? There are no analog bits. The
analog equivalent of a masked ROM is a phonograph record. Think first.
Blather afterward, but show some sign of thought or you're not worth
bothering with.

Jerry