Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Convert mono LP to digital

Nil wrote:
I want to digitalize a mono LP. I record it to the computer as a stereo
WAV file. What's the best way to make it a mono WAV file? My usual
practice has been to pick the best-sounding/least-noisy channel and
eliminate the other. But I recall someone here recommending doing
something like inverting one channel and then summing them in order to
cancel out more noise. That's not it, but something like that.

Can someone please steer me in a good direction?

Well, if you do it right, you'll play it back with a mono cartridge, then you
only have to eliminate one channel in your DAW.

If you do it with a stereo cartridge, you can sum the two channels to mono
and get a result that is pretty mono. How good this is depends a lot on
how well the channels of your preamp match.

If you are doing decrackling, you may want to do it before summing to mono.