Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_2_] ~misfit~[_2_] is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Arny Krueger wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in
message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs GregS wrote:
In article
,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

[snip]
My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on
*could* easily be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of
floor covering here, but it exists
in many places out there in the wild.

And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a
studio control room.

I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any
audio room. So is wall treatments, and ceiling
treatments.

Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to
the ceiling of the lounge until it was completely covered
from wall to wall.
Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to
sound quality.

At university, my room was fairly small and some really neat egg
trays were available in large volumes from the dumpster behind the
residence hall kitchen. I obtained a large number of them, painted
them tasteful colors, fastened them together into large panels with
stiff wire, and literally covered the walls of my room with them.

They had virtually no beneficial acoustical effects, which
measurements bear out.

Yeah, I don't think our egg trays did anything either. Still, it was a
talking point. :-)

I actually have one on the side of the 100+ year-old solid timber
chest-of-drawers in my bedroom right now. There is a downward-firing Klipsch
12" sub next to it with the port only around 120mm away and aimed right at
the side. I don't know if that does anything either but I didn't like the
idea of a big port like that breathing so close to a large flat (potentially
resonant) surface.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.