Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Nobody Wants Mono

On Apr 27, 1:48*pm, Boon wrote:

Again, you have no idea what's going on in the trenches. I have a
friend who refurbishes RTR decks and he says the demand has definitely
spiked in the last two years. Peruse any decent audio discussion group
and you'll find a lot of activity in RTR threads. I even went to a
hifi store on Saturday and they had an RTR deck in the front window.
He said he put it there because his customers are starting to ask
about it.

The one place I know of buys 70s Japanese consumer decks for a couple
hundred dollars and "remanufactures" them for a five figure price.
They are not interested in Studer or Ampex machines, which are "the
real deal". Consumer tape machines can not do any better than vinyl,
it isn't untill you get to 1/2" two track at 15 ips or so you get into
the real realm of superior fidelity.

Aside from the ludicrous "Tape Project" who is doing new tape
releases?