Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default Nobody Wants Mono

On Apr 27, 1:31*pm, Bret L wrote:
SOMEBODY that wants the mono, but most of them want the OLD vinyl in
the first place. A hundred people out of a couple million is not an
effective market.

A lot more than a hundred mono cartridges have been sold over the last
couple of years, so again you're off.

*Yes, the Japanese are buying them. To play old vinyl with.

*Some people would like to have shellac 78s, wide groove, to play on
Victrolas, some people would like cylinders, some would like 8 tracks,
some 4 track or broadcast cart, some would really go for open reel.

*Not enough.

In your little cave you have NO idea what's really going on in the
audio world. Open reel, for instance, is undergoing a revival.

*Big revival. ONE company offers quarter inch tape at insane plus
prices, a couple of places refurb mediocre consumo decks at equally
insane prices. *Sorry. When half a dozen places offer tapes and the
value of REAL tape machines starts going up then I'll say it's a
revival.

Again, you have no idea what's going on in the trenches. I have a
friend who refurbishes RTR decks and he says the demand has definitely
spiked in the last two years. Peruse any decent audio discussion group
and you'll find a lot of activity in RTR threads. I even went to a
hifi store on Saturday and they had an RTR deck in the front window.
He said he put it there because his customers are starting to ask
about it.