Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Conn tuner

On 20/05/2019 11:58 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/20/2019 7:08 AM, geoff wrote:
Anybody know the power/current consumption of an ST-11

Like anyone else who doesn't have one and an ammeter, I don't know. But
I'll remind you that it's a synchronous motor that makes it work, so the
accuracy of the 60 Hz is of utmost importance if you actually intend to
tune with it and not just show it off to your buddies.

When you get it, hook up an oscillator (at 60 Hz, of course) to a power
amplifier, and connect the tuner to the amplifier output through a
backwards filament transformer. Bring up the gain slowly while
monitoring the voltage to the tuner, and when it reads 115 or 120 volts,
measure the current.

I have a friend who's into aircraft instruments, most of which run on
400 Hz AC. He's set up a similar osciallator-amplifier-transformer rig
to play with his toys.

I'll just bung in on my variac to get in the power/current ball-park
before getting more committed to the 60Hz thing.

Though myself a bit of a floydie, primary purpose is for back-line hire
for bands who want "show it off to their buddies" ie audience.

FWIW I have a D28 and Hummingbird going out shortly to The Monkees (or
what is left of them). Dunno if that's something to skite about or not.

geoff