Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Output classes A and AB

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

In class AB, each man pulls the saw about 1/2 way across the stroke
then
lets go,
and the other guy grabs his saw handle and pulls the saw back the other
way.
Each man only mainly pulls the saw in turn, and applied force is jerky,
and frankly,
a difficult way to work; the Union will be down soon to have a go at
the
boss who told
the men to saw the log that way.

So speaks someone who obviously has no experience cutting wood with a
cross-cut saw. You can pull on a saw, but pushing on it can easily cause
it
to bend and bind. When 2 men use a cross-cut saw, each man pulls far more
than he pushes.

Its only an analogy.

Not a very good one.

But you should see the saws of the guys who win
sawing constests at the shows here.

I seriously doubt they are much different from the ones in the Northern
hemisphere. Laws of physics and all that.

These well trained brutes of men can saw a large
hardwood log faster than a guy with a chain saw,

Not if people get their choice of chain saw.

and the push isn't much less than the pull force.

Pushing a saw is only a little bit more productive than pushing on a rope.
Are you telling me that this works down there, even though it works up here?

Thus the power input to the saw is maximized.

No way can two human bodies duplicate the horsepower generated by fuel
acting on a high performance engine.

With a plain single tube, its ability to increase current beyond the
idle value is its "pull" stroke
and much higher than its "push" stroke of turning off current.
The variation in gm for each side of zero gives rise to the 2H.

Sounds like something that either needs negative feedback to correct, or
should simply be avoided in a hi fi.

The use of two such tubes in PP cancels out the uneven abilities to a
large extent,
but also because the gm change between high current and low current is
not even, 3H is generated....

In fact tubes are exponential devices. The expansion of the exponential
series that describes the transfer function of a tube contains both even and
odd order terms. No surprise then that unless special care is taken (such as
a well-balanced push-pull) tubed amps produce both even and odd order
nonlinear distortion.

Secondly, it is written nowhere that the current flow in each tube in a P-P
output stage need be greater than in a SET. Therefore Patrick, your argument
is a straw man argunment.

Class AB verging on pure class B is the preferred mode of operation for a
cross-cut saw.

Depends. We have plenty of class A men here in Oz. Maybe youse got only
class B men where youse are.

Nahh, men can be class A or B on either hemisphere.

And we both fergot to mention bow saws which have a thin long tensioned
blade strung tightly between the
ends of a steel tube bow, and where the push cuts more than the pull.

I didn't forget - its just that my mind didn't wander.