Posted to rec.audio.opinion
fid fid is offline

Default Tweeter replacement for Kef 107

On Feb 28, 11:36 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in
messagenews:4sabu2d0j9138b056rohqodbp0ht9ht9j2@4ax .com

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:54:18 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Tweeters typically are sealed and not tuned w/ the
cabinet.

Baffle diffraction anyone?

Crossovers, anyone?

As long as the
frequency response of the replacement tweeter is
adequate, the main problem is matching levels. Get a
replacement tweeter that has the same sensativity and
the replacement will work.

Nope. Tweeters can display superficially identical
sensitivities and responses while having very different
electrical and/or acoustical properties.

Agreed. This is a KEF 107, not a FungooTek computer speaker. It is
definately worth it to do it *right*.

I can't believe that KEF doesn't have a replacement tweeter for sale at
price that is vastly less costly than the used equipment value of the
speaker.

I did contact Kef (UK & USA). Apparently they will soon have available
some replacement tweeters. I had to beg them to give me some info.
Finally the rep at Kef USA told me that it is a soft dome and the part
number is R1549X. That's only I know. No name of maker or where it is
conceived.

However. I contacted some professionals and they would at least
attempt to install a pair of ScanSpeak (even that he was more
comfortable to suggest a SEAS). No change to be made at the crossover,
thou.
When i told him that I was looking for a tweeter with the impedance of
4ohms he replied like this: "Your system is rated at 4 ohm, not the
tweeter. Systems a rated for the woofer impedance since they draw 80%
of the power from the amp. If you have access to an ohm meter, you can
check the good tweeter your self. An 8 ohm tweeter will usually have a
dc resistance of between 6-7 ohms.
A 4 ohm units would have a dcr of 3-4 ohm."

Why change tweeters? The left tweeter has less (or darker) output then
the right tweeter. It's a sign...

Best,
Fid