Bob Marcus

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

Panzzi wrote:

Hi, all...

I've been following some of the threads about cables in RAHE. Interesting
is I noticed that everytime somebody brought the cables issue up, there
are certain people/group will jump in and tried to tell these people they
were wrong!

I just don't get it? Why are they do that?

This is a free world, and thanks God we are in a free world. We have the
right to proclaim our own personal experience. By saying this cable is
better than the others, or this cable sounds better than that one would
not hurt and cannot not hurt anyone. I mean, if somebody did not agree
with that, just let it be. Why do you want to apply your proclaim to
someone else?

The argument is not about their experience. The argument is about the
significance of their experience. There are sound scientific reasons for
believing that most cables (and interconnects) on the market are sonically
indistinguishable. There are also sound scientific reasons for believing
that people often imagine differences between things that are not actually
different.

So when someone says he hears differences between two cables that are not
actually different enough to matter sonically, it is scientifically
reasonable to conclude that he imagined those differences. It is a free
world, as you say, and you are free to disagree with that conclusion.

Personally, I absolutely didnot agree that expensive speaker cables WILL
give you better sound than cheaper speaker cables. But depends on the
material it is using, there is/are difference, it is just a matter of you
want to spend an extra few hundred dollars in return to that kind of
difference(s), some said yes, some said no. Just like, can you tell the
difference between a 14AWG and 12AWG? If yes, is it worth to spend that
extra money to get that difference?

Speaking of interconnect, it is a difference story, I personally
experience significally difference among coaxial cable, pure copper
cable, silver cable, and silver/copper hybrid cable. And once again, if
anyone doesn't agree with that, I'm sorry, but you can't say I'm wrong
because that is my experience.

You're right--I can't say that you didn't experience this. But I can reach a
different conclusion about WHY you experienced this. See above.

It is very subjective I know, but when the
world of audiophile still cannot agree on when subjective listening rule
or objective testing rule, I think I'm happy with that.

I remember once my professor told me that: Engineer should be the most
open minded professional among all, without that open minded, the world
will not and cannot progress.

But he probably meant, not so open that everything falls out!

Actually, the cable critics here are generally pretty good about following
your old professor's advice. When someone asserts that he hears a difference
between cables, the typical response is, "We don't think so, but here's how
you can prove us wrong." (Admittedly, it's usually worded a bit more
strongly than that, but that's what they mean!)

We're open to new evidence. But one more guy insisting he heard something is
not, by itself, new evidence.

bob

Premium!
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/m...ave/direct/01/