S888Wheel

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 4/7/2004 12:16 PM Pacific Standard Time

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 02:58:53 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/6/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Standard Time

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:00:04 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 4/6/2004 10:55 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:29:29 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message
On 1 Apr 2004 17:24:48 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

It should come as no surprise to anyone that top-tier products like
cables have little 'sound' of their own, and that it's the cheaper
stuff that does.

It should come as no surprise to anyone with real experience, and a
basic understanding of electronics, that all cables sound the same.

This is false on its face. I have owned both speaker cables and
interconnects that sound different.

It should come as no surprise to anyone with real experience, that you
are simply making a claim based on sighted listening, a technique
which is easily proven to be fatally flawed. I will bet you $10,000
that you can not tell cheap 'zipcord' from your favourite 'audiophile'
cable, when you don't *know* which one is connected.

Do you really have 10,000 dollars to loose on such a wager

Yes. But I won't lose it.... :-)

You won't loose it because you will never make the bet you proposed.

You're arguing again, and with no point to make...............

No the point was simple. You were offering a bet to someone who may not have
known about your laundry list of conditions without stipulating them. Had he
taken the bet you would have had to alter the bet as you offered it or back out
or risk loosing 10K. As I predicted, you changed the bet as it was offered. I
suggest you mind your Ps and Qs when offering such large bets to people who are
new to this forum.

or did you plan on
adding a several conditions if someone were to accpet the bet?

The conditions are as they have always been:

Levels matched to +/- 0.1dB at 100Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz at the speaker
terminals

Just as I thought. You really didn't want to compare anyone's favorite
audiophile cables without messing with their sound.

Excuse me? The above limits will be met both by 12AWG zipcord and
almost any 'audiophile' cable - in more than a dozen tests, I have
*never* had to make an actual level adjustment

Almost being the key word here.

That criterion exists
simply to avoid someone claiming a 'win' because he compared 32 AWG
bell wire to 8 AWG welding cable.

It should be stated anytime you offer such a large bet IMO to avoid
backpeddling.

Test protocol double-blind

Pass criterion is 15 or more correct out of 20 trials

As it stands you could easily loose.

I don't think so, and unlike you, I'm putting my money where my mouth
is.
--

Nah, you just changed the rules as I thought you would. *As it stood* you
really weren't offering a bet.

The rules are as they have *always* been.

The rules were not stated in your offer to someone who, being new here, may
noty have known those rules.