randyb

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

From: chung

Date: 4/7/2004 8:34 AM Pacific Standard Time
S888Wheel wrote:

The conditions are as they have always been:

Levels matched to +/- 0.1dB at 100Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz at the speaker
terminals

Just as I thought. You really didn't want to compare anyone's favorite
audiophile cables without messing with their sound.

If you know of any audiophile cable that has trouble matching to those
numbers against a 12-ga home depot zip cord, do share that information
with us. You will be doing us a favor by exposing those cables that have
trouble passing the signal without coloration.

I have never looked into it but I recall some "objectivists" claiming that some
audiophile cables do have audible colorations. That was why I made my comment
in the first place.

Test protocol double-blind

Pass criterion is 15 or more correct out of 20 trials

As it stands you could easily loose.

I don't think so, and unlike you, I'm putting my money where my mouth
is.
--

Nah, you just changed the rules as I thought you would. *As it stood* you
really weren't offering a bet.

Why not? Which condition do you take issue with?

Matching at different frequencies. If a "favorite audiophile cable" has to be
EQed to sound the same then it does sound different to begin with. Stewart did
say that one could not tell the difference between zip cord and one's favorite
audiohhile cable.

Do you lose your
ability to tell cables apart once you don't know what you are listening
to?

I don't know really. I do know that the cables I have were cited blind as
having made a difference in the sound. The sample was only one though.

Or are you one of those who go into a panic when they have to match
X to A or B?

I don't do my blind comparisons as ABX . I do them as simple A B comparisons. I
haven't compared cables in over a decade. Most of my comparisons are between
different issues of recordings.

Does anyone know if tests have been made for some of these claims that
ignite the passions of objective vs. subjective by sight challenged
individuals. It would seem to me that this would be an interesting
test because some of the objections for DBT tests would go by the
wayside.