Stewart Pinkerton

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 05:20:11 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:5aCcc.84136$K91.184034@attbi_s02...

This is false on its face. I have owned both speaker cables and
interconnects that sound different.

It should come as no surprise to anyone with real experience, that you
are simply making a claim based on sighted listening, a technique
which is easily proven to be fatally flawed. I will bet you $10,000
that you can not tell cheap 'zipcord' from your favourite 'audiophile'
cable, when you don't *know* which one is connected.

Beting is not the issue. I can and do hear consistent differences
between various components.

No, you don't. And unlike you, I can *prove* what I'm saying.

'Consistent' is the key here. If I were
somehow 'creating' the phenomena, consistency would be a problem. The
consistency that I find among various products tested at large
intervals of time is fatal to your view.

No, it reinforces my view. In fact, the effect is *called*
reinforcement, and has been well-known for many decades. You are
simply choosing to ignore a *vast* amount of psy research, not to
mention numerous audio DBTs.

Ergo, the better the quality, the more closely
perfection is approached, and the subtler the differences. Comparisons
between two brands of high-end cables are less likely to show
differences than comparisons between cheap cables and high-end cables.

Comparisons between 50 cents a foot 'zipcord' and $1,000 a foot Kimber
Black Pearl show no differences. This should not be a surprise to any
reasonable person.

Ad hominem attacks will get you nowhere. 'Unreasonable people' may
simply be the ones who have the most acute hearing.

So far, no such person has surfaced. Many of course have, like
yourself, *claimed* to be able to hear differences, but not one single
person has managed to prove this when they didn't *know* which cable
was connected.

You cannot prove a negative. You cannot prove I do not hear
differences. I can and do, when using equipment of sufficient quality,
such as Stax electrostatic headphones.

I cannot prove a negative, but I can certainly prove that *you* cannot
hear the differences you claim among cables. Why are you so afraid to
try it?

Again, as we approach perfection, differences lessen between products.

Any normal cable is already functionally perfect. The only
functionally imperfect cables are those ludicrously expensive ones
with little boxes attached.........................

I have heard differences between cables that are subtle but
consistent.

No, you haven't - and I can *prove* that, if you care to *try* it,
instead of simply repeating "I heard it, so it *must* be true".