Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Sony Home Theater - Sound to TV?

wrote in
:

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 4:42:36 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
I don't know too much about this stuff, so I could really use some
helpful information...

My dad left me a (circa 2010?) mid-range, 5.1 Sony home theater
system/receiver, and a Sony Bravia 40" TV. Both have the three
standard connections, HDMI, A/V, and component. I wanted to watch a
DVD, but didn't want to hook up any of the Sony speakers, but rather
use the TV for sound instead.

I connected the two with an HDMI cable, with A/V cables, and with
component cables, and I got picture but no sound, even though A/V and
component both had connections that were labeled as audio out.

Should I have been able to listen to DVD sound over the TV speakers?
I read the home theater's owner's manual, but it said nothing about
listening to sound through the TV.

TIA

audio out connects to audio in

does the TV have audio __IN__ jacks?

Mark

Yes, it does. That's why I'm so perplexed. All the ins and outs are
connected correctly. I was able to connect a non-home theater DVD player
just fine with both A/V and component.