Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Richard Bob Richard is offline

Default Balanced output to two inputs, one of which is unbalanced

From Rane Note 110, the archives of this newsgroup, and dim memories of
other things I've read, I've pieced together a partial understanding of
cables to send a balanced output to an unbalanced input. As far as I can
tell, unless the output is transformer balanced, "floating balanced",
"cross-coupled", or "servo balanced", then I use:

balanced Hot to unbalanced Hot
balanced Cold is not connected
balanced Shield to unbalanced Shield

If the output is differential balanced, I lose 6 dB of level; if the output
is impedance balanced, I do not.

My question is this: suppose that the balanced output is also multiplexed
to a second input using a wye cable, and the second destination is balanced.
Is this going to cause problems, for example because the load impedance now
differs between the hot signal and cold signal? (The hot signal sees the
combined inpedance of two inputs, while the cold signal only sees one.) Or
because of something else I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Bob Richard