Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

wrote:
Walt wrote:
wrote:

Let me guess: It sounds much more warm without the fuse. LOL.

No, I wouldn't describe it as that. Without going into minute details,
the overall resolution is much higher.

Uh huh. Sure it is.

Question is: Exactly what risks are there in running an integrated amp
or a preamp sans fuse?

You could burn up the power supply, or it could catch on fire. Put the
damn fuse back in.

Could you describe just what condtions would cause the power supply to
burn up or catch on fire (I would not have thought this component to be
flammable!)? As I say, I've been running it a couple of hours so far
and there's been no change.

Fuses are for protection in case something goes wrong. As long as
nothing goes wrong, you don't need them at all. In that respect,
they're like seatbelts or smoke detectors. But if you do need them, you
really want to have them.

Put the fuse back in. If you don't know enough about electronics to
understand how a fuse works you shouldn't be messing around inside the case.

//Walt