Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

wrote:

Did some experiments on the fuse of my amp... I replaced a 500mA 250v
fuse with a 1.6a 125v fuse and found the sound much improved. Then I
decided to replace the 1.6a fuse with a jumper made of a silver
paperclip, and found the sound improved much further. Then I replaced
the paper clip with silver solder, and found it improved further
(though I'm less sure about the solder being better than the clip
overall...).

Let me guess: It sounds much more warm without the fuse. LOL.

Question is: Exactly what risks are there in running an integrated amp
or a preamp sans fuse?

You could burn up the power supply, or it could catch on fire. Put the
damn fuse back in.

//Walt