Scott Dorsey

Default When ripping an MP3...looks way clipped?

Mondoslug1 wrote:
So sometimes when I rip an mp3 from a commercial CD that I've bought.
I'll import into Nuendo or whatever & not do anything to it ... just look at it
& there's nowhere to go...the region is flat on some and of course when I check
the audio statistics peaks are at 0.00. What does this mean? That they've
compressed the sh*t out of it. Just asking, it doesn't sound clipped but
definitely looks it.

You need better monitors.
That stuff is clipped. And clipping has become very common on commercial
pop releases. On a good monitor system it _will_ sound clipped.

I just got a folk music album from a friend that is slammed to the wall.
Acoustic groups jamming along with the meters pegged. Someone should be
shot. Big name mastering engineer who shall remain nameless.