Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Objective of Anyone Who Remasters

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:25:13 AM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
-snip-
I wasn't a big Van Halen fan, but this song is nice. After mixing, I listened to it, the original mix, online, JUST to compare. I attempted to mix more stereo into it, unlike lazy people don't!! Recording engineers are a dime a dozen.

Anyway, from 1979, Dance The Night Away, with non-faded ending. Feel free to throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at me if you wish, if it sounds that bad!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...enightaway.mp3

Jack

I am struggling to find out why you would bother to fiddle with remixing and remastering old songs.

I also think that too much credit is given to music or mastering or whatever that was done in the past. I mean, at the time, it was just a job of many that the mastering engineer had to do. And in the time of LP's mastering had more meaning than it has today, not to say that I am an old timer, when CD's came out I was one of the first to buy a player, because I was just so sick and tired of buying an LP, and listening to the crackle and hiss of a bad pressing.

Remastering is tricky. I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan, and my brother got the remastered (by Jimmy Page himself) box set of all of the albums when it came out. 'Whole lotta love' is one of my favourite songs, and I remember thinking to myself, what happened to that lovely ballsy bottom end of the original? The newer, improved, remastered version was sanitized and just didn't move me at all. It was all tight and controlled and I immediately made sure that I had the original copy secured.

I say leave well alone, I mean can you really do better than the original mix? I am pretty sure that the producer and engineer had the mix exactly as they wanted it, and if the producer wanted more stereo he would have asked for it. I don't really enjoy hard panned instruments, they kind of take your attention from where it should be - bit parts start to grab your attention when they shouldn't.

I mean there are fads going around, and there always will be , and that's fine, but I kind of like to listen to something with an idea of a sense of space around the instruments and singer, like you would experience in a live theatre or room. YMMV.

Not that I'm going to stop you, but I really wonder why.....

-Angus.

Angus, a very fair question to ask. If audio was meant to be heard one way, there would have been no quadraphonic, Surround Sound, Stereo and/or Mono, etc..

My goal was to find something "unusual" about US Top 40 songs, even a simple count-off is welcomed. A co-worker found a Rolling Stones tune on YouTube that he knew I'd be interested in. The next day when I asked for the link, it had been removed from YouTube, since it involved multi-tracks. Later, I track these multi-tracks down and find some of my favorite song, unedited, possibly never to be published. It's the same with Van Halen tunes, the hits fade, but the multi-tracks continue on - just what I was looking for.

Some songs were remixed, like All Right Now, by the group, Free, in 1991, and it recharted, Top 10, in the UK. So, who really says a song should only sound one way? Besides, after I heard (multi-tracks of) Band On The Run (McCartney), I lost all respect for Abbey Road. Obviously, someone there didn't like McCartney or their audio skills were meant to butcher the song.

Finally, I lost interested in stereo sound when man HAD TO have a zillion tracks (staring early 70's) to record with and away went the thrill of Stereophonic Sound.

Jack