Neil Gendzwill

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

AFAIK, CD simply does not *have* any audible problems.

That's a fairly bold statement. So there's no point to the higher
definition formats in your opinion? I had always understood the problem
with the format to be insufficient sampling rate to account for
real-world filtering - have modern digital filters effectively ended
that complaint?

While I wouldn't say that CD is perfect, it's sure a whole lot better
than it was years ago and I have no problems listening to it rather than
LP, especially when convenience is taken into account. The engineers
seem to have figured out all that filtering stuff quite well now.

However LPs can still sound surprisingly good, and friends who listen to
a record on my system are often astounded at how good it sounds. Mind
you, their recollection of LP sound usually comes from some $150 cheapie
table and a record that's been ground to death. At any rate I'm not
sufficiently motivated to replace any of my records with CD equivalents,
unless I need them for the car or something.

Neil