Uptown Audio

Thanks, but I don't need to read about what to do as I have already
done it. I was listening to an Lp last night that sounds "better" than
its CD counterpart. I have quite a nice Lp playback system, but it is
not really anything outrageous. I also have a very nice CD playback
system. I have even been into audio for many years and have owned more
types and models of equipment than many people have seen or knew
existed. Give me some credit for experience.
You may prefer digital formats and that's fine, just don't try to
belittle my findings and suggest that only yours are valid. I enjoy
both analog sound and uncompressed digital sound and don't feel a need
to go about and attempt to influence people's preferences. My position
is not to try and "prove" anything, but to enjoy music. I'll enjoy it
the way that it suits me best, thank you.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"chung" wrote in message
Uptown Audio wrote:
Yes. It's true that the higher the rate, the better the sound, but
I only burn CD's uncompressed. I don't do that very often as I have
enough to just carry the ones I want about without worry for
copies. I actually own two copies of many. I don't know, i suppose
I like the artwork as much as the disc itself, so I would rather
have a complete set than a stack of discs or a hard drive full of
MP3s. Many kids (young and old!) like to store music files but I
just say gimme an Lp, gimme a CD, or get outta here! It is amazing
to me how people can spend hours at a computer making their music
sound worse for convenience, yet they can't get off the couch to
plop on another disc! Get some excercise, - get up and grab a beer!
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

But you were saying that mp3's sound terrible, and that vinyl is
noticeably superior than mp3's to even the most novice of listeners.
I would ask that you do this experiment. Take your favorite CD.
Compress all the tracks into mp3's at 320Kbps using Lame or some
similar high quality encoders. Then burn an audio CD by
decompressing the mp3's. So now you have two CD's with the same
tracks, one original, and one based on mp3's coded at 320 Kbps. Now
play those CD's and see if you can reliably tell them apart. I would
bet that you will not find the mp3s' sound "terrible". In fact I
don't think you can reliably tell them apart, for the majority of
music. I have tried, and I can tell you it is hard.

You overlooked the convenience factor. To have hours or days of
quality audio on a portable device is convenience. The work required
to code is minimal; you can batch encode entire CD's with a few
mouse clicks, and you only do it once per CD. Try Apple's iTunes to
see how easy this process is. Now having to switch sides on an LP
every 20 minutes or so, who wants to do that? And did you read
what Mr. Lavo wrote on what you need to do to play vinyl well?

"chung" wrote in message
Uptown Audio wrote:
You don't do anyone any service by attempting to compare MP3 to
vinyl as equals. Vinyl is noticably superior to MP3 by even the
most novice of listeners. The only difference is the requirements
for quality playback systems for vinyl. MP3 sounds terrible, no
matter what quality system it is played back on.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

Just out of curiosity, have you listened to mp3's or aac's encoded
at 320 Kbps?