Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Which do you prefer?

The mics were about 28" in front of the instrument, just above the sound hole, pointing straight toward the guitar. They weren't dead cener on the sound hole, rather laterally they were toward the neck from the sound hole just a bit.... And they were all in the same position as best as could be considering mic size, etc... The guitar is a mid 60's ramirez which is actually pretty powerful with nice clear trebles but it's a very warm sounding instrument.

Mic 1 is a Coles 4038. The extra room sound you hear is of course the rear lobe. With a proper low shelf to compensate for the proximity boost it is a very pleasing sound to me- slightly more forward and less "real" but it's a sound i do like very much.

Mic 2 is an EV RE15. certainly the cheapest of the bunch. It isn't bass light at all, it's just a little more forward around 1.5-2k, but if you compensate for that with eq it's a really terrific sound.

Mic 3 is schoeps mk41. I love it but this capsule isn't the best for the classical guitar. I've used it a lot on steel string strumming way up close and it's terrific, and of course here this sound is very good, but with the classical guitars if you get it too close the bass tip up is too great and when you pull it back it gets a little bass light. The omni or wide cardioid are really gorgeous here though (i've demoed but don't own those!) Still, this mk41 has the least amount of room as any and it's a very natural sound, though I don't love the sound of the treble strings with this mic. The dynamic and ribbon are more pleasing. Then again, I only know what the instrument sounds like when I'm playing it, I don't know what it really sounds like a few feet in front!

I want to get and try a 441 and see how that does. RE20 also is terrific- it sounds much like the re15 but with a little sweeter top end and it doesn't have the forward midrange.