Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:56:43 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:26:50 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
Steven Sullivan writes:

willbill wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
Who's winning the war? I haven't been following this too closely, but
sometime in the next few months I think I'm going to spring for a new
player and I'd like to know which one to get.

i just got, 10 days ago, a Toshiba A35 player
Pity. Blu-Ray just won the format war.

Are you referring to Warner Brothers' decision?

Yup. It's not quite a slam-dunk, but it's pretty dire
news for HD-DVD.

FWIW, I have no stake in either. I'm one of the people
waiting on the sidelines for the 'format war' to
settle itself, before buying.

I'm waiting for the encryption to be broken before buying. If I can't play
my media where, when, and how I want, I'm not buying.

I like having my media copied to a central server, instead having my household
littered with little plastic disks.

If the encryption is never broken, that is OK with me too.

Ditto.
However, one trend that is going to **** the heads of Hollywood suits is
the penchant for playing movies on handhelds ie everything from phones
to dedicated MP3/MP4 players and PDAs. For everyone who splashes out on
a BluRay disc ten more will probably download the postage stamp version
ripped down from a normal DVD. And the stronger the encryption the fewer
discs will be sold.

It's not going to stop with BR/HD's encryption. Next will be divx style
calls to the mother corporation for permission to play.