Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Since better remastering doesn't involve the consumer buying any new
equipment, then it must be implied when you actually do so, and claim

that
as one reason?

That's pretty bad logic! It's not implied, it;'s just an assumption *you*
made abiout my motives.

OK, you just like spending money then on whatever is the latest fad?

Nothing at all in what *I've* written supports
it. I've assumed *nothing* about SACDs or DVD-As except that they are
remastered.

Bull****, you claimed the *possibility* of superior mastering as one reason
for buying an expensive player.

To play those remasters, unfortunately I have to buy a player
that can play them. I had to do this when CDs first appeared too...
then later, DVDs.

At least they were far better than what they replaced (vinyl, cassette and
video tape)

Not so, there are a fair number of MTV type DVD albums using the

original
studio recordings, often with both PCM stereo and 5.1 mixes. I have

many.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with these...can you point me to some? The only
music-only surround DVDs I'm familiar with, were the DTS series.

Mostly pop music which you may not listen to I guess.

Then of course there are the concert video's with the same basic

recordings
as the CD/LP versions,

Well, no, not the 'same basic recording' -- entirely new performances,
usually.

Well no, since the recordings are often of the exact same concert!
Sure the mastering may be different, but the biggest difference I find is
that the DVD usually has more songs :-)

but often with more tracks, and usually with stereo
or 5.1 mixes, plus video, and amazingly are often cheaper than the CD
version here!

Wonderful! I have a number of them that I enjoy! But they usually don't
have the original album remastered, or the original album in a surround
remix. The exception would be the relatively rare concert that received
LP/CD release as well as film (e.g., Woodstock).

Well I have many, so I guess we have different tastes in music.

Have I disagreed? I really don't see why you're on my case.

Not on your case, just pointing out 5.1 audio does not require a major
investment in soon to be obsolete equipment.

I guess you're just angry that I'm not as angry about them as you?

Not angry at all, as long as it's not MY money.

Or is it a sin to buy them for *any* reason?

What others do with their money is OK by me. Just pointing out your reasons
did not seem that well thought out IMO.

MrT.