Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Gorging on Sound

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Less-experienced listeners often hear no difference between "on" and
"off".
I suggested to Gary that he set the rears a little high. If the listener
finds it too audible, he can lower it. But if it's too low, he might not
even be aware of it.

You may be right, but here was my reasoning: I played several test
recordings and noted that most of the time, an effect that was known to come
from the rear originally was folding up in the front on me. I don't mean the
kind of signal where you go up close to the recorder and announce "this is
my rear center channel." I mean the more subtle effects like outdoor
ambience (maybe traffic noises, birds, etc) that should form up in an even
field around you, not favor one end or the other.

Also, obviously, all this depends on your having set your time delays
correctly for the rear and side speakers. If there is a precedence effect
screwing up the balance, then all bets are off.

I agree that in a good hall, you don't really notice the ambience. You DO
notice that the applause is not coming from behind the orchestra though....

Gary Eickmeier