Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Gorging on Sound

That's interesting. I always find the rear sound too high in level --
unnatural. My feeling is that as with most things, if you hear it --
it is too much. You should only really notice its absence when
you turn it off.

Correct. The rear-level settings on my hall synthesizer are quite low -- you
have to shut the sides/rears off to hear -- retroactively -- their presence.

Less-experienced listeners often hear no difference between "on" and "off".
I suggested to Gary that he set the rears a little high. If the listener
finds it too audible, he can lower it. But if it's too low, he might not
even be aware of it.