Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Cipher Cipher is offline

Default tell me if this is a good deal..

wrote in
:

On Jan 11, 1:19 pm, Cipher wrote:
so theres this old tv repair guy who , one day in 1987, after
working till 2am on a TV Set, getting frustrated, turned off the
lights in the shop and never walked back in.

he has around 900 never used, still in boxes tubes... thousands of
used ones, about 10,000 photofaxes and electronics manuals, gobs of
capaitors, a dual trace bk oscilloscope and about 3 tube testers...
he was a repair guy in germany too, worked on MK001 computers with
tubes(said there were guys whose sole job was to walk down the isles
of this thing(it was huge) and replace tubes as they burned out) he
says to me, you can take the whole shop, everything for 2000.00 ...
what do yall think?

Sucker bet.

Service grade test equipment has no cash value-VTVMs, signal tracers,
any TV specific stuff. That stuff brings $5 at hamfests. Old scopes
are very very cheap unless they're Teks and even then they are getting
cheap. Only military, AVO or Hickok tube testers have value and no TV
shop had them.

Photofacts-very little value except for vintage audio pieces.

The tubes-they are probably 95% worthless series heater string types.

You can't win with these old TV shop types or their wives.

I saw, and bought a box of 12AT7 tung-sol tubes, and know that he has a
whole wall full of "audio" tubes..12AT, AX, AU, EL84, yadda yadda.. but
he has a good many mullard, telefunken, and a couple of brands I didnt
even recognize. the box I purchased(8 tubes for 15 bucks) looked to be
brand new(well, never opened. 2 of them are in my little jolida at the
moment. He repaired radios too, and actually many of his tubes came from
his radio repair days in Germany.

he also has a couple dual trace oscilloscopes(bK) , a couple of ??tv-7
tube testers, and a bunch of other equipment that I didnt know what the
hell...

anyway, I pulled the trigger, going to load it all up this weekend. it is
a damn whole barn full of ****. I dont care if I got screwed, I have a
lot of stuff to play with, hell..and enough AT/AX/AUs and the ilk so that
I will likely NEVER have to buy another tube. When my mastersound comes
back, itll be set for life too.