Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

"Ian Iveson" wrote in
message
. uk

If you say that as a rule that atheists make the best
microphone designers, its really about the same as saying
that people who belong to certain racial or cultural
group(s) aren't all that bright. If that's your life's
philosophy, then you have my regrets.

Nonsense, no-one is born with a belief in god.

Nobody is born as a fully-fledged member of any cultural group. Take a baby
at birth, move him to a different cultural group, and raise him there.

Racial lines very blurred, genetically speaking. For example, was Hitler a
jew?

Neither did I suggest that theists aren't bright, whatever bright
means.

Really? You as much as said that theists can't as a rule design mics as well
as atheists.

It's just that I would be more inclined to trust a
designer whose beliefs are based entirely on direct
evidence, and whose devotion is not divided.

But atheism is no guarantee of undivided devotion. Contrary to popular
belief, it doesn't take a lot of brights to be an atheist.

The problem
would be how to spot a real theist...lots of religious
people just pretend.

Agreed that this is an additional problem with your implicit praise based
solely on being a professing atheist.

Were I ever to require the services
of a microphone designer, I would ask for a statement of
beliefs, and how they are related to microphone design.

Call me foolish, but I would be very much more interested in things like
sound quality, durabilty, and price.

I would be wary of any who believe that god will help in
the design work, because I suspect He won't show up.

I would be suspect of anybody who said: "Buy mics from me because I'm [fill
in your choice of ideologies].

cheers, Ian