Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Default How pure is the signal when it reaches our ears?

On 2013-12-29 19:19:45 +0000, ST said:

That sounds highly dubious at best. One way to tell for sure is to

acquire a recent high-grade recording that has been printed to a CD and

pressed to vinyl in the same form, mic up your listening room with some

lab-grade mics, and play each of them over the same system. I but you

can predict the outcome quite accurately.

[For some unknown reasons, my replies being rejected at the server level. I
am trying once more ( maybe my fifth or sixth time) to reply. Now I am
using a new account and hope it reaches the mod.]

That is the kind of evidence I am looking for. Technically, is it possible
to press exact replica of CD version on vinyl?

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:58:25 AM UTC+8, Ed Presson wrote:

This view seems to ignore that the wavy, wobbly, and jittery signal that

arrives the ear from the vinyl will be subject to further wavy, wobbly,
and

jittery distortion once it leaves the speaker resulting in even more

distortion. Somehow, I doubt that results in a closer representation of

live sound. Perhaps I've misunderstood the OP.

Ed Presson

Yes, the loudspeakers contribute a fair share of distortion but what
matters here is how much of the sound wave is closer to the live
performance when reaching the ears. Too much distortion in vinyl degrades
the sound, but here I am referring to the correct balance. I do agree some
digital recordings are very good. In most cases, I can't make out whether

it is vinyl or digital. I do not play vinyl but AB'ing the very best of
both formats, I find vinyl is musically more pleasant.

I started this thread because all the discussions about vinyl and digital
is based on the ability of each medium to capture and replay the signal as
close to the original sound recorded at source but not the actual signal
quality heard which is wobbling and jittery when reaching our ears.

At close range, microphones capture a fraction of the total sound. In live
music, a bigger slice of the sound of instruments reaches our ears,
although there too only a fraction of the entire sound reaches the ears,
but the mix is entirely different compared to what's heard at close range.
The difference here is the whole sound loses it original wave shape by
interacting with other factors creating it own cocktail of coloration when
it arrives at our ears.

Maybe, vinyl with his own distortion makes the sound natural when it
arrives to our ears. So far, I have not seen actual measurement of live vs
digital vs vinyl measured at the ear level which hopefully provides a
better understanding about the real sound quality that matters to us for
musical enjoyment (not accuracy).

I think it was back 10 to 20 years ago and before, they would tailor the
sound recordings to produce a Master recording to fit onto a record without
overcutting into adjacent tracks (grooves). That final master was then used
to produce the CD. This made CDs back then not sound as good as they could
because the used the vinyl master to make the CDs as well. Now many
recording companies are making Master Recordings for CDs and if they want to
cut some vinyl too, they would have to make a separate vinyl master that
would cut out some of the bass and use some compression to reduce the really
loud parts so that the record cutter doesn't cut into adjacent grooves.

So the answer is NO, a CD recording and a Vinyl recording will not be quite
the same!

I have also used an oscilloscope with a mic to view pure tones that I was
making with a homemade circuit. It didn't wobble or jump up and down.
There was a little bit of movement, but very little. This was along time
ago, like 1994.

As for air density changing every few centimeters in a calm room, I don't
think so. Air and any gas evenly disperses itself in its give area; in this
case a room. The atmospheric pressure is the force exerted on the walls and
everything else in the room by the air molecules bumping against everything.

Shaun