Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Line level specification?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com
Several recent threads here about connecting audio
equipment make me wonder about "line level" connections.
I know what they are and where they're used, but I'm
wondering: is there an industry standard for them?
I know that standard line-level impedance is 47K ohms,
but what I don't know is the voltage level specification,
if any. I suspect that there's no one set voltage level,
but isn't there a more-or-less standard *range* of
voltages for line level? (My guess, if I had to take one,
would be somewhere around 100 millivolts.)
Googling doesn't produce any definitive results here.

That's probably because there are no definitive results to find. :-(

Consumer line levels I've encountered vary from maybe 35 millivolts (DIN
jacks) to 100 mv (a typical sensitivity for an RCA jack input on an
integrated amplifier or preamp tape recorder or tuner input) to 1.5 volts (a
typical consumer power amp) to 2.5 volts (a fairly gutsy consumer CD player)

Most consumer gear seems to position the input level control ahead of any
active stage, which helps with the dynamic range situation.