Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default Here we go again!

"Serge Auckland" wrote

Poor pressings were ubiquitous at the time.

??

I dunno, I must be much more easily pleased - I don't remember *ever*
taking an LP back to the shop!! The nearest to that I actually remember
was complaining to an eBay seller about a ropey Bladerunner I had
bought. He said 'Sorry about that, I'll send you a couple more to see if
you can get a good one out of them and I'll complain to my supplier!' -
and he did! It turns out they were brand new *bootlegs* being knocked
out in Germany somewhere!!

Also, I now remember, Swim bought me Bjork's 'Medullah' on vinyl up in
Scotland a couple of years back. Some distance away from the shop, she
stopped and slipped it out to check it (she's bought more vinyl than
most here, I suspect, and knows the score). There were some 'dimples' on
it, so she took it straight back to swap it only to find the two other
copies the shop had were gone in the 10 minutes or so since she left the
shop! Daft sod then got a refund and the net result is I still don't
have Medullah on vinyl yet!! (Dimples don't bother me either!! ;-)

Real time interruption: Swim has just advised me that Mole Jazz has now
closed down forever!!

:-(

I started buying LPs in the
sixties, and had a system sufficiently good to appreciate pressing
quality by the late 60s. *Every* LP I bought ultimately dissapointed
due to surface clicks and pops. Try listening to the second movement
of Beethoven's Emperor concerto on LP, and see if you can suspend
disbelief that you're scraping the music off the plastic with a rock
on the end of a stick. You'll hear every click and pop. I used to
return 5 or 6 LPs for every one I bought, in a vain attempt to find a
quiet one.

Streuth....

*Everything* about CD was as improvement over LP and cassette. Even
the much maligned jewel box, I couldn't see much wrong with it once
you got the hang of opening it.

You're kidding now, Serge - aren't you?

Sleeve art aside, CDs came with a booklet, so even the sleeve
notes were often more comprehensive.

Whaaat? Even the *Demon Digi***** (who shall remain nameless and who is
no longer with us) readily conceded the artwork/sleeve notes were much
better with LPs. Ain't you got any LPs with all the *words* (and
translations) on nice, big, fold-out booklets? (Stuck for the right
name - 'libretti' doesn't seem right....)

No, for me at least, CD did and still does everything I need from a
music carrier, and I play LPs for fun, (I have three turntables) much
as I would drive a 1930s MG, or when the musical content is more
important than the reproduced quality.

But what if you found yourself driving the MG much more than your
'modern' car...???