Howard Ferstler

dave weil wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:04:44 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Nobody is right all of the time, Dave, including Toole.
Well, I suppose that I am right all of the time, but I am a
rather remarkable person.

Dave, my take on this is that you criticize my measurement
techniques when it comes to listening rooms,

I don't criticize your measurement techniques. Just pointing out that
the guy whom you base much of your audio philosophy finds some of your
technique superfluous.

Actually, I disagree with him about a lot of things. If one
goes back to an issue of the BAS magazine "Speaker" a couple
of decades back they will find a debate between Toole and I
regarding his view of sound power and radiation pattern and
mine. However, I do laud his approach to measuring and
comparing. It is just that he thinks some performance
results are philosophically more important than I do.

I don't have a problem with those who measure their room, just with
people who demand it of everyone. Not everyone has the need to measure
all of the time.

I don't demand it. I just find it odd that "serious" audio
enthusiasts will have not taken the time to do so. Why
speculate when simple measurements will answer so many
questions - at least for "serious" enthusiasts.

while at the
same time have no done no measurements of any kind with your
own room. Yep, you like that room, but all you have to go on
is gut-level, taste-related responses. You are in the dark
about just how good your room actually is.

My room isn't perfect, by any means. It's pretty good for what it is,
and I don't need measurements to confirm what I hear with my own ears.

A human measuring tool? Is that what you are, Dave?

Could it be improved? Probably.

Probably? How would you know this if you did not do some
decent measurements. Perhaps the room is borderline perfect.

My plan is eventually to take down the
wall between it and the adjacent room, creating a room that would be
about the same footprint as your main room. Of course, I'd have some
extra headroom (literally). But since that wall is a load-bearing
wall, I'm going to take my time doing it.

Use a post in the middle.

I hope you don't mind.

I do not mind anything you do that increases your knowledge,
Dave. One way to increase it would be to do some decent
measuring.

Ignorance is bliss.

As is fascism, apparently.

You take this all so personally, Dave.