John Durbin

Default Directed Amplifiers

It's easy to take shots at successful companies like Directed... when
they're justified by the facts, assuming any facts are presented, I
typically ignore them. When things written about us or our products are
misrepresented or outright untrue, I am more likely to respond. I try to
avoid taking a purely company line in the process, as it makes what I
write less credible. Sticking to facts is the better approach. If
everyone on the internet would avoid posting their speculations, myths,
and gossip as fact, it would be a much better place. Less entertaining
maybe, but better...

I will comment on one part of your last post, although again I have
nothing personally to do with our alarm business these days: the
overwhelming majority of dealers and customers in the US does not agree
with your assessment. The survey results that track opinions of our
security products and their value vs. other brands like Audiovox
emphatically show that people do recognize the difference and are
willing to pay for it. We've earned that position through years of
consistent quality, and a lot of hard work in engineering, product and
customer support areas. If you don't agree, that's your prerogative -
but you're in the minority.

On the ebay subject, a casual looksuggests that pricing is not driven by
"old is better" but by simple supply and demand. Old products are
scarcer, and no longer available in quantity at wholesale prices by
dealers - or from manufacturers that dump goods that way sometimes. That
means the products being sold are mostly by end users, that paid more
for them than a dealer would have. I would expect them to sell for more
than current product which by comparison is relatively available and in
the hands of dealers that paid less for them in the first place. Throw
in the predisposition of a certain class of consumers to buy into the
"older is better" mythology (not that it isn't true some times, but
never as often as the auction market would have you believe), and the
model is complete.

JD

Captain Howdy wrote:

JD, lets break this down. This all started with my comment about Directed 2003
amplifier line looking like the old Alpine V12 line. I do admit that I did
push the issue a little far because you started getting fired up about it,
only to be a prick. This brings me to topic number 2, PPI amplifier cloning. I
not know for a fact that their was cloning going on with the early PPI amp
line, But I do feel that they do/did "look" like Orion GX knock offs with only
the black paint missing, and a hell of a lot more then the Directed 2003
amplifier line looking like the old Alpine V12 line. Not that it even matters
20 years later, give or take a few years. Better yet, not that it ever
mattered at any time.

Topic number 3, Overpriced DEI alarms. Comparing my Viper and Audiovox, I
don't see anything that justifies the extra $200. They both have same
options. They both still work. The viper is 5 years old and the audiovox is 6
years old, both on their second car.

Topic number 4, Older is better. I truly do believe that older PPI, Orion gear
is better then their new gear. Their other people that feel that same
including John Andreen on the PPI part anyways, I know that you read the post
in question and ignored his comments on that issue, just as I did regarding
cloning. I also believe that Ebay sales and final bid prices speak for
themselves. You don't see the same clueless people paying more for 15- 20 year
old Hu.

Topic number 5, DEI's poor Canadian product support. This is what two dealers
had to say when asked why they dropped DEI products. Why would they both lie,
they have nothing to gain by saying this.

Topic 6, Warranty support, who is responsible, the suppler or manufacturer.
The law simply states that the supplier is fully responsible if the supplier
does not identify the manufacturer, at which point the supplier will be seen
as the manufacturer. In fact they are both responsible. If you were to sue,
you could sue both. Trade laws don't stop at any boarders, not anymore. The
same stands for Family law and Ecommerce law. But like I said, the truth is
only a phone call away.

Who do I go after? You, Mark and Paul? You all can defend yourselves just
fine, well maybe not Paul never the less he tries. LOL. John, I can truly say
that I enjoy and agree with most of your posts, as I do with Mark's and Paul's
posts. I just feel that your posts regarding DEI are a little one-sided. This
is the only reason I rattled your cage about DEI. I also know that this post
wouldn't of went as far as it did , if it wasn't regarding DEI.

And, you seem very willing to ignore the comments by John Andreen, all
of which rebutted your claims and which demonstrated a very expert
knowledge of the companies and their products back then. What's wrong,
you only go after people you think can't defend themselves? Whatever,
you picked the wrong target this time... but go on insulting me if it
makes you feel better about yourself. It's a lousy excuse for knowing
what you're talking about though...

I'm sure some of the other "morons" that have listened to what I have
said here about DEI products over the past few years will enjoy your
opinion of them, too.

JD