t fitzgerald

Default Help! Retrieving Deleted Protools Files

I made a mistake and threw away a needed Protools session and emptied
the trash. I need only the audio files which are SDII files as I had a
copy of the session file. The song was about 4 minutes and had about 16
tracks. Protools HD3 on a Mac G4 recorded to firewire that has not been
recorded on since I emptied the trash. I did many searches on Deja,
Yahoo, Digidesign group etc. Not much on this topic to be found. I have
Norton and Tech Tool Pro and searched their sites. I did not have on any
of the undelete functions of these programs on as they seem to conflict
with Protools. Does anyone else have an undelete program running when
using Protools on a Mac?
I scan the drive looking for deleted files. There are a few different
ways to do this and the best way for my situation is unclear.
Unfortunately the drive is our biggest a 156Gig and it takes hours for
the searches. I have found a few of the audio files needed but it has
taken 16 hours of searching for about 1 minute of 3 tracks.
We have recut the tracks for the song as I wasn't getting anywhere
with trying to retrieve the old ones. I do want to research this though
in case it ever happens in the future. I have retrieved files from SCSI
drives when I threw away actual Sound Designer program material in the
past and had good luck. The drives were only 8 Gig or so. I think I used
Norton. Firewire seems to be a different animal.
If anyone has had any experiences or knowledge that would help me
please let me know. Thanks Todd

Todd Fitzgerald
Chief Engineer
OarFin Studios Minneapolis