Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

Default Windows Is Driving Me To Drink! (Win7 This Time)

On 04 Mar 2013, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I had the Windows 7 computer working pretty well, even talking to
other computers on my network. Today I tried to access it from one
of the WinXP computers which I could previously do, and I got an
Access Denied pop-up. I thought something might have happened to
the sharing setting on the folder I was trying to access, so I
took a look and a bunch of folders, the My Documents, My Music, My
Pictures, etc. all had little arrows through the icon next to the
file name. There was actually a duplicate set, one with the
arrows, one without.

The directory structure was changed as of Windows Vista and later. In
XP and earlier, user profiles used to be in a folder called "\Documents
and Settings". Now they are in "\Users". What appears to be a folder
with the old name is just a placeholder for the use of old applications
that have that name hardwired in. If you try to open them, you'll get
that misleading error message, "access denied."

It wasn't all that important that I couldn't access that computer
from the network.

The trick to networking both XP and Vista/7/8 computers is to turn of
the "Homegroup" feature on the Vista/7/8 computer and use simple
networking. The Homegroup feature doesn't work with XP.

Microsoft has made it over-complicated, and it's not documented very
well. But once you have made a few adjustments, it all works well. I've
got several flavors of Windows on my network and they all talk to each
other just fine.