Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default 8" 10" or 12"...which one?

.. I am just saying there are subwoofers
that sound almost as good as JL Audio for a lost less $$!

I'll second that. You are partly paying for the JL name and their large PR
and marketing budget. They are great subs; I used a pair of 12W3's for
years several years back and they were outstanding subs, but a bit pricey
for what you can buy today for that same price.

As far as your original question, the larger the subwoofer you get buys you
two major advantages: 1) larger subs are more generally more efifcient
meaning they need less power to produce the same SPL as a smaller sub. This
can be be VERY beneficial if you do not have a large sub amp OR a lot of
extra current from your car's electrical system. 2) the other advantage is
that larger subs can generally play lower frequencies at greater volume than
smaller subs.

HOWEVER, the generally accepted drawback of larger subs is that they are not
as "tight" as smaller subs. This, however, is debatable and depends greatly
on the subs in question. Of course the other drawback is that larger subs
require larger enclosures, thereby you will need to sacrifice more cabin or
trunk space.

I would not necessarily rule out 15" subs either. I recently had a pair of
high-end MTX 7500 12"'s stollen out of my car. I had this unused dual 15"
sealed box just laying around in my garage and decided to buy a pair of low
cost 15's.

To my surprise, I actually like the 15's better than my MTX 12's. They are
MUCH louder as they are more efficient as I mentioned earlier. They also
can play lower than my 12's. As far as "tightness", I don't notice any
difference at all. They sound GREAT!!! If you have the space in your
vehicle, you may want to consider 15's as well. It's safe to say this will
give you the loudest bang for your buck.

MOSFET