Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

Default Zoom H2 Handy Recorder - Brilliant!

On Jan 4, 2:29 pm, wrote:
Not billed as professional kit, but well worth including here on pure
merit. See he

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

Had mine a couple of days now and it's amazing for the money - £134.99
UKP from:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail...ckCode=ST00643

The benefits a

1. Produces broadcast quality sound from the onboard mics, Sony
ECM-MS90 and via the line-in socket.

2. Low price

3. Decent build quality

4. Generous accessories, including...foam windshield, USB cable, Y
audio cable, DC power supply, conical handle, 0.25 inch standard screw
fitting tripod attachment, 512Mb SD card, drawstring soft carrying bag
& nice-sounding earbuds.

5. Takes Hi capacity SD cards up to 8Gb. I am using a Sandisk Extreme
III 2GB. So you can be sure it works with those.

6. Good printed manual in well-written English - easy to understand.
But most readers of this group could start using the H2 without even
bothering with the manual. Just make sure the battery meter is set for
NiMh cells (if you are using them) and that's your reading done. The
rest is so intuitive.

7. No 'funny noises' attending what you actually record

8. Date/time stamped recordings

And the demerits:

1. No balanced XLR sockets with phantom power

2. Very small LCD screen - reading glasses may be required

3. What appears to be a USB 1.1 interface. Transfers from the device
to the PC are slow. Best use a proper USB 2.0 card reader.

If you want to get great quality audio into your PC this is it. I
don't think there's anything else on the market right now that
trounces the H2 in terms of 'price versus performance'. I can't
recommend it highly enough.

A 'must have' tool for the discerning musician and journalist.

I did a little comparison of my H2 to my full boat recording rig:

http://www.fxguidry.com/pblog/index....y071201-161322

If the H2 is a toy, it's the single niftiest toy I've ever had in my
hands.

Fran