Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras Charles Tomaras is offline

Default mics for classical guitar

"chris ruth" wrote in message
On Dec 9, 12:29 pm, "Charles Tomaras" wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Nate Najar" wrote in message
schoeps cmc 641

trust me

Why would you recommend the Schoeps MK41 capsule for solo classical
guitar
in a dead room? Seems an MK4 cardiod would be a better choice.

From my perspective, I will almost always take the MK41 over the MK4.
If
you want more ambience, just pull it farther away!
--scott

I've not used mine for classical guitar, nor much music for that matter
but
I do have many hours of dialog and interview experience with my Schoeps
stuff and almost always prefer the sound of the MK4 over the MK41 if the
room sound and camera headroom will allow.

WAIT. You guys are great but i think i should give some more info (as
usual)

Budget ~ $800.

I'd like the mic to work in a variety of settings since i will be
doing some live recordings, but mainly, for my personal use, it will
be a small room with a lot of dampening material (ala ethan winer's
recommendations).

Maybe i should stick with the Octava MK-012s for the small room
recording and just get another mic for live??
I have omni and cardiod capsules for the octavas.

thanks

Did your gain issues with the Octava's become more manageable with the USB
Pre2?