Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

wrote:
On 21 Feb 2020 12:30:08 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

If I were you I'd try to do some processing to improve intelligibility rather
than worrying about fidelity. High pass everything below 200 Hz or so,
then low-pass everything above maybe 6KHz, and consider sticking a presence
boost in there. You might then consider an expander and fiddling with the
threshold on the expander to try and boost the voice out of the noise.

I think you are worried about entirely the wrong thing here.

The actions on the source WAV file must be such as to maintain
authenticity. If I start changing and deleting parts of the audio
file, that would render the output file as different from the source
file, and make it untrustworthy.

I don't know about UK law, but as soon as you have made a transfer to
MP3, or even a transfer to flat PCM, your file is no longer admissible in
court. Rules of evidence in the UK are likely different but you can hire
any one of a number of excellent forensic audio people there who can create
an audition file which is separate from the traceable reference file (which
is what is normally done for courtroom proceedings in the US).

Sorry to bug you, but; I've used the source WAV parameters; sample
rate 48,000 Hz and bit rate 192 kb/s; when converting to the MP3. I
don't know if this is proper for the destination MP3 file. What is
your view?

My view is that you are looking at totally the wrong thing, but since you
refuse to explain why you want to do any of this, it's hard to know.