Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
[email protected] invalid@invalid.invalid is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:35:35 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

By the way, I just opened your original .wav file in Adobe Audition, and
it was a compressed file anyway before you started processing it.

Filename: x.wav
Folder: F:\Downloads\a-mp3 (1)
File Type: 48000Hz, 16-bit, Mono
Uncompressed Size: 374.71 KB (383,708 bytes)
File Format: ACM Waveform
Microsoft ACM: IMA ADPCM
Size on Disk: 94.05 KB (96,316 bytes)
Last Written (local): 2/20/2020 12:53:29.780
Length: 0:03.996
191,854 samples

This page explains what it has already done to your original recording.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ession-manager

Not all .wav files are uncompressed, or even the same format if not
compressed.

You are correct. The file uses ADPCM compression, I believe, so it is
not CD quality. It uses a bit depth of 4 bits, which is de-compressed
when playing to 16 bit.

It's really just a practical question, is the MP3 audio quality as
good as the (compressed) source WAV.

I would keep the oriiginal WAV file, but web browsers can't play this
particular type of WAV file.