Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
[email protected] invalid@invalid.invalid is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:36:51 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 20/02/2020 12:00, lid wrote:

Do the two files sound the same? Can you detect any loss of quality
between the source WAV and destination MP3?

They sound as near to identical as makes no difference on these speakers.

Good. Thank you for the re-assurance.

When I listen to the audio file in WAV and MP3, on earphones, it
sounds exactly the same. I am unable to detect any loss of quality.

Perhaps we could have one or two more people offering opinions on
this?

For a conversion that is as close to the original as possible, I use
320kbps as the MP3 bit rate, starting with 24 or 16 bit depth .wav
files, and most people can't tell the difference even when the original
contains noise sources such as cymbals as well as musical instruments.

192 kbps is good enough for normal listening on domestic equipment or in
a car, in my experience.

The bit rate of the source file is 192 Kbps, and the source file has
sample rate 48,000 Hz. I have kept the same parameters when converting
to MP3, so the MP3 file has bit rate 192Kbps and sample rate 48 KHz.

Is this the right approach to take with the conversion? Intuitively I
would think the bit rate and sample rate should be the same for both,
but my intuition may be wrong.

You might try using earphones, that will aid comprehension.

I can hear more clearly through earphones than laptop speakers.