Natvig

Default "Universal" Players less DVD-Video

Those in favour of DVD-A as the the most practical hi-rez format have
stressed the multi-media features;- Bob Stuart (Meridian) are among those
who strongly believe that this is what the consumers wants;- personaly I
don´t care;- I have a Meridian player, by the way, that accepts DVD-A,- but
I´m not much interested in what my few DVD-A´s may contain beside music.

Geir Natvig
"chung" skrev i melding
Peter wrote:

Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of

"Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not DVD
Video?

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would be

much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with

High-Fidelity
audio systems.

The DVD-A discs contain significant video info, such as menu (song
list), liner notes, interviews, etc. It would also be much easier to
navigate MP3's with a video display. It would be difficult to do set-ups
such as bass management, surround, etc., without a display.

The cost of adding video circuitry is not huge, and it is the higher
sales volume that will get you a lower price. If there is no video in a
player, sales will be much lower, and you would end up paying a higher
price.